RoboSource has always been about helping others: specifically, mentoring and training young software engineers. This year, we’re going to take industry-standard downtime, and use it to give back to our community.
It’s the nature of a custom software business. As hard as we try to coordinate it, we sometimes have software engineers on the bench. Maybe a project got completed earlier than expected or a new client took a bit longer than expected scheduling their Discovery Session. Whatever the reason, we occasionally have one or more engineers without a paying client project to work on.
Our go-to solution for this is having them work on internal projects. There’s always something they can do to improve internal processes or jump start future projects.
This year, we want to use that time to give back.
At RoboSource, we believe that everyone should have access to the power of custom software. But even with our innovative pricing model, sometimes the price tag is too high for budget-conscious nonprofit companies. That’s why we’ve committed to take some of those extra hours and channel them into software that can really make a difference for our fellow Hoosiers.
Thus began the idea of Software for Good. We’re giving away one custom software project – up to a $25,000 value – to a licensed, local nonprofit company. For RoboSource, that means approximately four weeks of work for one of our small development teams, or 40 EduPoints. Of course, we’ll be spreading that out as project work allows. But we’ll make sure to finish before the end of 2018 (and maybe a lot earlier).
I might need Custom Software … but I’m not sure
If you aren’t sure, here are some things we’ve done for others and could do for your nonprofit:
- Have an overworked Excel spreadsheet? Let us put that spreadsheet online so it can be accessed remotely (and by several users) and is more secure.
- Have tons of data, but can’t figure out how to interpret it? We can safeguard and analyze your data and produce meaningful reports.
- Process that’s too bulky? We’re experts at creating custom software to streamline and automate those processes.
- Applications that won’t communicate? Trying to get various applications to interface can be incredibly frustrating. We can facilitate automated integrations across your business. For example, if you need Excel to work with your financial package, we can do that.
- Need an online tracking system? We can create a web app to keep track of information about the people you serve.
- Just not sure? If you think we can help, but you aren’t sure how, go ahead and apply! Give us as much info as possible, and we’ll let our creative juices flow.
To apply, you must meet these criteria:
- Your company must be a licensed nonprofit whose main headquarters are in Indiana.
- You must send an application email (see details below) no later than 11:59 pm on Friday, May 25.
- Your company may only submit one application, and applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
Here’s how to apply:
Send an email to email@example.com. In the subject line, write: Software for Good. Answer the following questions in the email (no need to be long, just a brief description will do):
- Name of the nonprofit organization and brief description of what you do
- Brief description of custom software you need (if you aren’t sure, give us ideas of things you think could be helpful)
- Explanation of how the software could change lives
- Contact info for follow-up questions
…And, here’s the small print:
- Custom software will be written during less-busy times, so timeframe could be as long as six months. Working times will depend entirely on RoboSource workload and schedule.
- Winner will be notified by Friday, June 1, and at that time, we will schedule an initial consultation. The project will be complete by the end of 2018.
- RoboSource employees and their immediate family members are not eligible for the software giveaway.
- Companies that are already in consultation with RoboSource are not eligible for the software giveaway.
- RoboSource reserves the right to choose any one nonprofit that fulfills these criteria. Only one company will win.
- Software is not redeemable for cash and is not transferable.
- Email addresses provided to RoboSource are neither disclosed nor sold to any third party.
- By entering for the software giveaway, your email represents explicit permission to use the provided nonprofit name in winner announcement.